Examples of what may be requested for these awards include (but are not limited to):
- hiring of research assistants/consultants
- editorial assistance for the preparation of manuscripts
- formal manuscript review by external experts
- costs related to indexing or translation
- research supplies (e.g., archival scans, books, programs, equipment)
- art supplies and technical assistance
- support for digital projects, among others
Please note: These funds may not be used to pay faculty stipends (including summer salary) or graduate fee remissions; to purchase general computer equipment that can be funded through other sources on campus; or to reimburse for previously paid expenses. All hires made using these funds must comply with IU and HR policy and approval protocols regarding temporary hourly employees and student workers. Hiring authorization may be required from the College and/or College Budget Office, as well as the Office of International Services, etc. Expenditures must follow all university and College policies, restrictions, and regulations. Proposals must be oriented toward the completion of a specific project.
Summary of the project, including an outline of the research to be done, identification of the materials requested, and how they are useful to the research (500 to 600 words at most)
- Curriculum vitae (only relevant portions; five pages at most)
- Detailed budget itemizing all materials requested and their individual costs
- Letter of support from the department chair
- One other letter of recommendation from an IU faculty member or from an outside source
Grants may be awarded for up to $7,000.
Eligibility + usage:
Who may apply: Tenure-track and tenured College faculty members in the arts and humanities at Indiana University Bloomington.
If you have questions about whether your request is feasible, please contact us.
All grant expenditures must adhere strictly to those listed on the budget proposal, and any changes to the budget must be approved by CAHI.
If other internal or external funding is received for the same project, CAHI requires notification, and reserves the right to adjust or reassign awards in light of this information.
Upon completion of an award:
CAHI requires that all grant and fellowship recipients send a brief description of the scholarly/artistic activities accomplished as a result of the CAHI award by the end of the semester following the award period. All grant recipients are kindly requested to acknowledge the support of the College Arts and Humanities Institute in any flyers, posters, publications or publicity.
Apply for the grant Upload a letter of recommendation