Examples of what may be requested for these awards include (but are not limited to): fees associated with locating, accessing, and reproducing materials unavailable because of travel restrictions; (especially for work that would have required travel); research supplies (archival scans, difficult-to-access books, computer programs, equipment), art supplies and technical assistance, and support for digital projects, among others.
Expenses that are not supported include (but are not limited to) typing and duplicating of dissertations, tuition, normal living expenses, and computers.
In the case of requests for equipment, the letter writer must verify that neither the equipment requested nor the funds are otherwise available to the student in a timely manner. At the completion of the project, the equipment must remain with the department and be made available for future research projects by other graduate students.
Please be specific about the needs and timetable for your research. If you have questions about whether your request is feasible, please contact us.
All awards are subject to university restrictions and regulations.
Applications should include the following materials:
- 1-page cover letter outlining the research to be done and identifying the materials requested, as well as how they are useful to the research (500 to 600 words at most)
- Brief abstract of the dissertation or thesis project (no more than 200 words)
- Detailed budget itemizing all materials requested and their individual costs
- Curriculum vitae
- Letter of support from a faculty advisor, outlining the student’s progress toward the degree and the significance of the research project and materials in relation to the student’s work
- Documentation that there are no outstanding charges (zero balance) on student’s bursar account
Who may apply: IU Ph.D. or M.F.A. students in the arts and humanities. Students must be enrolled in the College of Arts + Sciences at Indiana University Bloomington in order to apply for and receive award funding.
Applicants need to have completed all coursework, been advanced to candidacy, and be at work on the dissertation. M.F.A. applicants must be within one year of completing their thesis work.
Apply for the award Upload a letter of recommendation